Wednesday 7 January 2015

480 - Field Marshal Montgomery - A Pompey Fan?

Hullo,

One out of the blue today.

I was back in my home town of Portsmouth last week, and - whilst in a print shop getting some photos - I noticed this wee gem:

That's right - it appears that Monty himself was the President of Pompey Football Club during their post-war heyday!

I love the contrast between the keeper ('BUTLER, E') and the club pres ('FIELD MARSHAL THE VISCOUNT MONTGOMERY OF ALAMEIN KG, GCB, DSO').

Genius.

In my head, they had Monty running round the pitch before the matches like a novelty mascot to whip the crowd into a frenzy.

- Drax.

PS: Did you know Pompey once held the FA CUp uncontested for six whole years? - That's right: they won it in 1939! [link here].

12 comments:

  1. Nice. From the title, I was thinking of a different Pompey, as in Caesar and Crassus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...thats funny...but to much postnominals are to much...^^
    Greetings and best wishes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Siph, BSc(Hons) PgDip, MCGI, RN... Pretentiousness to the extreme! Lol. Drax, did you buy the print?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Chaps.

      No I didn't buy it - I've got too much crap as it is, and too little cash.

      I'm reminded, though, of Arnold J Rimmer BSC, SSC

      (bronze swimming certificate, silver swimming certificate)

      Delete
  3. Typical dodge - using a world war just to hold on to the FACup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, our ideas for the invasion of the Polish Corridor fell on very receptive ears...

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's one I never knew. Back when Portsmouth was a team worth following, bringing the town a little more glory outside of being known as "that rough Navy hovel". :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, their good ol' fanbase has managed to rescue them from debt in absolute record time!

      Delete
  5. Funny you should mention this, as I saw something on the TV a couple of weeks ago about someone famous playing in goal for Portsmouth. I think it was Arthur Conan Doyle, but it might have been before the days of the League as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are correct. Cricket too, if I remember correctly. I think there was someone else well known with Conan Doyle too.

      Quite the time to live in Portsmouth...

      ...apart from the cramped, late-Victorian poverty and squalor, of course!

      Delete
    2. They call it bijou, village feel and vibrant these days! I'm outta there, it's gone down over the years I've lived there, and I'm in the Navy! Or is it maybe because I'm getting older... Highest rates of violent assault and bike theft, all the older Victorian houses been made into flats, no room to expand and traffic is terrible now, the main motorway into it has lost a lane for the "park and ride" but what about the residents! Dunno. I am old...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!